Thursday, May 28, 2009

ARTOMATIC IS ALMOST HERE!

Yes, the anticipation of the event deserved an all caps headline.
I went to artomatic for, embarrisngly I might say, the first time. I know, I suck as someone working in the arts field living in metro-ish DC area to not have been to it the other previous oooh 8 years. ooh but wait, I was in um richmond like 9 yrs ago. so there!

So last year I vowed I would participate this year. Goal acomplished! But alas, what did I do, even with a years worth of planning? I kept changing my mind on what I wanted to display and at the very last minute I embarked on a half a dozen different projects and threw something together at the last minute. So it's definaltely not the best representation of my work. But its not 100% crap either. well art is subjective.

If you have never heard of Artomatic, I put together a little FAQ for ya'll. a little more personal than the www.artomatic.org site gives ya

Q: What is Artomatic?
A: It's a 5 week long art showcase in Washington DC. There will be close to 1000 visual artist and hundreds of performance artist including musicians and dancers.

Q: When is it?
A: Opening night is this Friday May 29th and it goes until July 5th!

Q: How much does artomatic cost?
A: It's FREEEEE! although donations are greaty appreciated. This is an all volunteer based event. From the security personnel to the bartenders and etc.

Q Where is it it located?
A This year it is located at the Navy Yard Metro - Nationals park exit. Yes, the building is directly on top of the metro exit. Liteally. Come out of the metro and take a right, then take another right to get into the main doors. I highly encourage metro-ing there.

Q: But I can't ride metro b/c I get motion sickness/I'm agoraphobic/joe biden told me not to in order to avoid swine flu.
A: There is parking available- however, please look at the Nationals schedule before heading over. If there is a game, then parking is limited or wicked $$. OR make a day of it- drive in for a Nats game and come see the show! Let me know, I'd love to join:)

Q: What floor is your installation located?
A: The 2nd floor. my installation is pretty random and w/out much direction. much like my life. or my english papers. Please also see my dear frind Heather Borra o Donnell on the 9th floor.

Q: Is the artwork for sale?
A: It depends on each artist. If you do want to purchase a piece please note that artwork cannot leave the building until the end of the show-for security reasons. There is a marketplace which will be open on select nigts where artsts can set up tables and such and you can bring your shwag home w/you that day.

Q: Is this a family friendly event?
A: If your "family" is OK w/seeing nudes- both male nd female- um, then um congrats? er. Our artist -esp on the floor I'm on, really like to use their freedom of expression and the right to bare, well a lot more than arms. So use your own judgdement or see this as a time to teach junior about nudity and art- real art- not the ladies who are missing their clothing in daddy's magazines.

Q: Will there be beverages - mainly alcoholic ones? esp after I see them nude paintings near the elevators on your floor.
A: yes, there will be 4 bars throughout the building plus mobile drink carts! warning pleassseee bring your ID. We are told we need to card everyone. yes even -80 yr olds. not my rules. and if we don't follow the rules we'll be blacklisted for future artomatic events. All proceeds from beverage sales go to the operation of artomatic.

Q : Is this why we haven't seen/heard from you and you didn't congratuate me on my birth of a child/divorce/b day/breakup/growth on my neck.
A: pretty much/congrats!/congrats..er/happy birthday/congrats, I mean sorry/you really should get that checked out but I have a lovely scarf for you to borrow in the meantime.

Q: DC is kinda a hike for me. I'd be up for a weekend trip if thee is crash space available.
A: my place can sleep about 5. 6 if you're skinny and you like to spoon. or both. I promise I will have my cat's valium prescription refilled by then.

Q: How long does it take to see all the work?
A: 9 floors /1000 artists...it's like the louvre, you can't do it in a few minutes. Ok so its not exactly like the louvre-dan brown hasn't written a book about us and ya know, we're not in france...and stuff.. ok whatever. lots of stuff. take lots of time. enjoy. come back often!

Q:Are there any special nights to come, iek say, meet the artist night?
A: Yes, Funny you should ask! June 13th is meet the artist night!

Q: your cat's on valium?
A: you think these marks are from losing a battle with a ninja? no, these are from not feeding a feral cat at 5 a.m.

Q: Whom do you feel best explemifies your work in a time period persona nothwithsatanding the idealism behind impresisonism and the like?
A: dude, its called artomatic and I have a BFA from the top rated state art school in the country. so pffflllllt. leave your pretenses at the door and enjoy the show. and get a tattoo while you're there. I am ;)

No comments:

 
;